Council received and considered a report, presented by the Mayor, which set out the recommended Revenue Budget, Council Tax, Medium Term Financial Plan and Capital Strategy for 2019/2020.
The Mayor explained the context of the budget in terms of austerity and Government funding cuts and provided Members with an overview of the budget. He advised that the budget principles and assumptions were restated.
The Mayor thanked the officers involved in producing the report and requested that members of the Council approve the recommendations contained at Page 2 of the report.
A number of members commented on the budget.
A Member queried whether Appendix 1 was compliant this year. The Executive Member for Finance and Governance advised that all the relevant interested parties had been consulted and there was no reason to believe that there had been a breach of statutory duty. The Executive Member for Finance and Governance thanked the officers involved in preparing the report.
The Mayor was invited to sum up prior to the vote on the budget.
In accordance with statutory regulations a recorded vote was taken by roll call of those Members present at that time, the results of which were as follows:-
Votes for (27):
The Mayor, D Budd, Councillors Biswas, Bloundele, (Chair), Branson, Brunton Dobson, Carr, Dean,
Goodchild, Harvey, Hellaoui, Hussain, Lewis, McGee, McGloin, G Purvis, C Rooney, D Rooney, Rostron, Sharrocks, Storey, J Thompson, M Thompson, J A Walker, N J Walker, Walkington, Walters, L Young.
Votes against (12):
Councillors Arundale, Coupe, Davison, C Hobson, J Hobson, Hubbard, Mawston, McCabe, McTigue, Mohan, Rathmell, Saunders.
Moved, seconded and ORDERED as follows:
1. That the Council approves the budget savings for 2019/2020 and notes the proposed budget savings initiatives for 2020-22 which will require further development prior to being brought forward for approval (Appendices 1-3);
2. That the Council approves the budget requirement for 2019/2020 to be set at £111,926,328, as detailed in Appendix 4;
3. Having taken into account the matters set out in Section 32 of the Local Government Act 1992 and the items set out within the report that the Council approves that the basic amount of Council Tax (Band D) for 2019/2020 be £1,644.99 being a 2.99% increase in general Council Tax and an annual precept of 2.00% for Adult Social Care which was introduced by Government in November 2015 to contribute towards the shortfall of funding for adult social care. This Council Tax increase is in line with Government assumptions relating to the funding available to the Council. In total this represents an increase of 4.99% in the basic amount of Council Tax for the whole of the Borough;
4. That the Council approves the actual amount of Council Tax (Band D) for areas with parish precepts (excluding Fire and Police) be set at :-
Nunthorpe Parish £1,648.76
Stainton and Thornton Parish £1,653.82
5. That the Council approves the amounts of Council Tax for each category of dwelling be set in accordance with table 4 of Appendix 7 within the report;
6. That the Council notes the refreshed Medium-Term Financial Plan position for 2019-2022 set out in the report;
7. That the Council notes the updated Investment Strategy for the period to 2021/2022 as set out in Appendix 8.
8. That the Council approves the Capital Strategy Report (Prudential indicators, Investment Strategy and Minimum Revenue Provision) 2019/2020 as outlined in Appendix 9.
9. That the Council approves the updated Treasury Management Practices Statement as outlined in Appendix 10.