Council received a report of the Monitoring Officer, regarding the establishment of committees, sub-committees, boards, panels and working groups for the 2019-2020 Municipal Year, or until amended by Council, (whichever was the latter)
Schedule A of the report submitted set out the Executive and Executive Sub-Committees and Advisory Bodies as agreed by the Mayor.
Schedules B and C identified the nominations received from the various groups and individual Councillors for places on the committees to be established by the Council in accordance with Sections 15 and 16 of the Local Government Act 1989 and Local Government (Political Groups and Committees) Regulations 1990.
The report included a list of current vacancies on various committees and nominations were put forward at the meeting by the individual Members concerned.
The Monitoring Officer advised that she was aware that there was a representation on point 1 of the report and she invited the Member responsible for the representation to speak before moving on with the rest of the report.
The Member responsible for the representation stated that the make-up, allocation and terms of reference of Committees had not changed for some time, and he suggested that the Proper Officer review it to ascertain if it was fit for purpose for a modern Middlesbrough. A Member requested clarification on the request for a review.
The Monitoring Officer explained that as part of the Constitution it was for the Council as a whole to agree the constitution of Committees in terms of how many people sit on Committees and the terms of reference for Committees. What the Member was pointing out was that the Council had a system that been in place for a long time and it could benefit from a review. In principle there was nothing wrong in reviewing the system and the Monitoring Officer suggested that this report be approved and that the review be carried out throughout the Municipal year in accordance with the Constitution and Members' Development Committee.
Moved, seconded, and ORDERED as follows:
1. That the membership, size and terms of reference of the Executive, its sub-committees and advisory bodies approved by the Mayor as set out in Schedule A in the Appendix to the submitted report, be noted.
2. That the appointment of chairs and vice-chairs of Executive sub-committees and advisory bodies, as indicated in Schedule A in the Appendix to the submitted report, be noted.
3. That the committees, sub-committees, boards, panels and working groups be established, and the terms of reference as detailed in the Schedules B and C in the Appendix to the submitted report be approved for the 2019-2020 Municipal Year, or until amended by Council, (whichever was the latter).
4. Council approved (a) the places allocated in accordance with the wishes of the political groups and other Councillors as shown for the 2019-2020 Municipal Year, or until amended by Council, (whichever was the latter).
5. That the following appointments, nominated at the meeting, be approved:
Corporate Affairs and Audit Committee
Councillor McCabe appointed.
Corporate Health and Safety Committee
Councillors Cooper, McIntyre and Smith appointed.
Ad Hoc Scrutiny Panel
Councillor D Coupe appointed.
Labour Members confirmed as Councillors Goodchild, Rooney, M Storey and Thompson.
Councillor Mawston appointed.
Councillor Smith appointed.
6. That a review of the make-up, allocation and terms of reference of Committees be carried out throughout the Municipal year in accordance with the Constitution and Members' Development Committee.