The Senior Scrutiny Officer presented a report to outline the purpose of the meeting, which was to establish the Panels proposals for its 2013-2014 Work Programme, which would be submitted to the Overview and Scrutiny Board for consideration in July 2013.
The report contained proposals received from Members, items from the Leisure Service, Police Action, and Draft Strategic Plans and key issues identified the previous year that had not been addressed. Items to be scheduled into the programme in relation to the Committee's statutory duties were also included.
Representatives from the Community Protection Service and Leisure Service were in attendance at the meeting to provide an overview of their service areas and highlight issues for Members' consideration.
Members discussed the suggested topics and the Scrutiny Support Officer and service area representatives provided additional information as appropriate.
Following discussion, the proposed topics were as follows:
1. Police Horses - Retention or Removal (Police Commissioner).
2. Day release of prisoners.
3. Crime Data - harmonsation of data and availability.
4. Dangerous Dogs - is it a growing problem?
5. Exploitation of children.
6. Tackling obesity in children - leisure contribution.
7. Repeat offending - police action to reduce.
Updates to be presented to the Panel throughout the year included:
Leisure Strategy (including Playing Pitch Strategy).
Safer Middlesbrough Partnership accountability.
Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA).
The Senior Scrutiny Officer reminded Panel Members that an update on the action taken against Executive actions with regard to the Coroner's Service was due in July. The Chief Constable had commissioned a unit within the Probation Service to conduct a review into value for money. Therefore, the Council's own Internal Audit Service had not commenced a similar review as had been previously agreed. The Probation Service's work was completed, however their report had not yet been issued. Further updates would be provided to the Panel.
1. the topics listed at 1-7 above, would be submitted to the Overview and Scrutiny Board for approval.
2. an annual update on Leisure Services would be presented to the Panel.
3. a copy of the Community Protection Service Plan for 2013/2014 would be circulated to Members.